07 May 2009

Music to Write By

Hubby was kind enough to get me a green iPod nano for my birthday (and gave it to me early so I could actually use it).  I've started adding songs to it, and find myself listening to it frequently while I'm working during the day.  In fact, it's slowly replacing my usual schedule of L&O reruns on TiVo.  I usually put it on shuffle, and let the music act as background noise while I'm working.

Here's a random selection of songs currently on my iPod:
  • "For You I Will (Confidence)" from the single by Teddy Geiger
  • "Baby Mine" from Disney's Dumbo, sung by Julie Andrews
  • "Down to the River to Pray" by Alison Krauss, from the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack
  • "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter's self-titled album
  • "I Will Be Here" from Steven Curtis Chapman's Greatest Hits
  • "Remember When it Rained" from Closer by Josh Groban
  • "A Little Fall of Rain" from Les Miserables
  • "The Way I Am" from Girls and Boys by Ingrid Michaelson
  • "Colors" from Dance for the Sun by Kira Willey
  • "Carry On My Wayward Son" from Wynners 6 in 1 Box Set by Wynners

The music you listen to is important when you're writing, as illustrated by this comic by Debbi Ohi.


Music influences my mood.  After all, that's why I listen to it to begin with!  So I don't always listen to all the songs that come up when I'm working, depending on what I'm working on at the time.  I've found the music does help motivate me, but it can also make me counter-productive if I don't listen to the right type of music.

What do you listen to when you write?

2 comments:

  1. I can't listen to anything while I write uexcept perhaps some classical music on a very low volume. I find anythign with words to be a complete distraction. I honestly don't know how other people do it. When 'm blogging or working on other projects I need quiet more than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know lots of people that need quiet to write. I used to be that way, but then I realized that if it was too quiet, I'd start looking for things to distract me. With music (or TV reruns), I can take a moment to concentrate on the distraction, then get right back to writing without actually getting up from my desk. I find it makes me more productive.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...