15 May 2009

Mary as Mother

Probably the most common way Mary is seen by the faithful is as a mother.  She is the mother of Christ, and (particularly in the Catholic Church) the mother of all God's children.  She is depicted with the infant Jesus quite often, and many mothers turn to her for prayer and comfort.

Since becoming pregnant, I've been thinking a lot about Mary's role as a mother.  Surely during her pregnancy she endured some of the things I've endured since December, and perhaps she and I have even shared some of the same worries and excitements.  As I'm raising my little java bean, perhaps some of the frustrations I'll have are frustrations she had as she raised Christ.  And perhaps my pride at my child(ren)'s accomplishments will be similar to Mary's pride at the accomplishments of her Son.

One of the things that strikes me the most about motherhood is how fiercely mothers love their children.

There are so many women who will do anything for their children, including die for them.  The bond that's created through pregnancy (and breastfeeding) is unmatched by any other relationship.  Mothers are connected to their children in a way I don't yet fully understand.  And with that connection comes a deep love I don't fully understand.

The reason I bring up this fierce love is to remind you that the Blessed Mother has that love for all of God's children.  She is the mother of us all, and as our mother, loves us the way every mother loves every child.  She would do anything for us, and wants nothing more than our health and happiness.

One of the things that's been difficult for me since I got married and moved to Orlando has been the physical distance between my mother and me.  I became very close with her in college, and moving away is something that is still (sometimes) just as hard as it was when Hubby and I drove away for our honeymoon.

However, knowing that the Blessed Mother is always with me, praying for me (just as my mom does), and hoping the best for me is comforting to me.  When I'm missing my mom, I know that the Blessed Mother is with me.

When Grandma and Grandpa P7 (my mother-in-law's parents) were visiting after Easter with my mother-in-law's aunt and uncle, they took an afternoon to visit the National Shrine of Mary, Queen of the Universe, which is here in Orlando.  They brought me back a beautiful Mary medal to wear.  I'd been wearing one Hubby gave me, and I still love that one very much, but I've been wearing the new one since I got it.

When I see the necklace around my neck, or I feel it as I go about my day, it reminds me of the protection I have from the Blessed Mother, and that she's with me even when my mom isn't.  And lately, when I'm worried about something, I find myself reaching for my necklace to touch it, and I ask Mary to pray for me about whatever it is that's concerning me.  It always makes me feel better.

I can't speak for you, but I know I want my mom to pray for me.  Knowing that the Blessed Mother is also praying for me has gotten me through many, many worries already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...