04 May 2009

Mary as Comforter

When I got married and moved to Orlando, one of the most difficult things for me to do was say goodbye to my mother.  I'd never lived away from her for very long, and the when I did, we were at least in the same state.  This was a difficult change for me.

In the days, weeks, and months following the move, I called my mom as often as I could, but it wasn't the same.  I couldn't get a hug from her when I needed one, and we couldn't go shopping when we needed to get away.  And since I didn't really know anyone in Orlando (except my in-laws), I felt very alone.

However, during this time I also started learning more about the Blessed Mother and her role as Mother of God's children.  If she was my mother, too, then maybe I could find comfort from her, being away from my mom.

I began praying to the Blessed Mother more often, asking for guidance the way I'd ask my mom, or asking for comfort when I was feeling particularly lonely.  And I felt less alone when I did.

Don't get me wrong--there's nothing like getting a hug from your mom.  But it was also comforting to me to know that the Blessed Mother was there for me, too, praying for me, watching over me, and loving me.

It's so encouraging to me to know that Mother Mary, the mother of God, loves me as a daughter.  She wants what's best for me, and she prays for me.  Who better to advocate for us in prayer to the Lord than the Mother of Christ?

The Lord can be a powerful comfort in our lives, but sometimes, especially for women, it helps to have a woman to turn to.  Thankfully, Blessed Mother Mary provides just that.

Mother Mary, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...