08 December 2010

#reverb10 Prompt, Day 8: Beautifully Different

Think about what makes you different and what you do that lights people up. Reflect on all things that make you different - you'll find they're what make you beautiful.
-----

This is going to be a hard one for me, I think. I have this thing where I don't really think I'm beautiful, and that it's easier for me to believe the bad things about myself than the good things, etc. So I definitely see myself as different, but it's the beautiful aspect of it that's a little harder.

But the prompt says that what makes me different is what makes me beautiful, so I'm trying to trust in that for the purposes of this post.

So I present to you my differences (in no particular order):

  1. I've had chicken pox twice.
  2. I lived in Germany for three years.
  3. I broke my arm when I fell off a clothesline pole.
  4. I curl my toes under my feet when I sit with my feet on the floor.
  5. My body doesn't like dairy products very much.
  6. I often avoid Dr. Pepper because it's a little like a drug to me. When I get it, I drink a lot of it.
  7. I absolutely can't sleep with socks on.
  8. I talk to my characters when I'm working on stories. (Writers will get this, but to everyone else, it'll make me "different.")
  9. When I write, I tilt my head to the right.
And, because I'm different, I'm going to resist the urge to give you ten things that make me different. Ten is a nice, round number. You get nine things. Ha!

People are made up of every thing about them. Their personalities, their quirks, their differences. These are the things that make us who we are: individuals.

It's easy to say that these things make me beautiful, but it's much harder to put into practice. Because they are identified as differences. They're things that make me not like other people. And growing up, that's what I wanted was to be like everyone else. I didn't want to be different or weird or whatever else. And it's hard to break that mindset now that I'm being told that different is what makes me beautiful.

I suppose I'll figure it out someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...