26 December 2010

#reverb10 Prompt, Day 21: Future self (late)

Imagine yourself five years from now. What advice would you give your current self for the year ahead? (Bonus: Write a note to yourself 10 years ago. What would you tell your younger self?)
-----

Dear Future (but really present) Coffee-Stained Writer,

As I stand at the edge of 2015, waiting for 2016 to rush up and meet me, I have a few words of advice for you. I urge you to heed them, since anything I recommend to you really affects me, you know.

First, remember that haircut you're thinking of getting when Bunny is born in the spring? Don't. It didn't look that great when you did it in 2008, and it annoyed the crap out of you when you were trying to grow it out because you realized you missed your long hair. As much as you think you want it again, trust me: you don't. It won't look that great, and it'll annoy the crap out of you when you try to grow it out because you'll realize you miss your long hair. Please, please keep your hair the way it is. You like it this way.

Next, don't get too frustrated with how the coffee house's first draft goes in 2011. It's going to get written, and you're going to have to edit it, so relax about it. It doesn't have to be perfect the first time. It won't be perfect the firs time. Just remember why you want to write it and you'll be fine. Save the obsessing for the later drafts. It'll go a lot smoother that way. After all, it started as a NaNo novel and you did everything you could to boost word count. Remember that draft? ::shudder::

I also want to tell you that things will get better. I can't tell you too much because of that whole crazy space-time continuum thing, but things will get better. Hang in there. You'll come out of things a better and stronger person, and then you get to be me, which is pretty cool.

Finally, keep trusting yourself. It works for you. You'll be healthier and happier that way. You won't worry so much. And you'll definitely have a lot more fun. So don't let other stuff get to you too much, and remember that you know what's best for you.

Have a great year in 2011, have fun, and be safe. You have to get to where I am, after all.

Happy scribbling from the future,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...