12 December 2010

#reverb10 Prompt, Day 12: Body Integration

This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn't mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?
-----

As has happened with many other prompts, this is something I've been thinking about lately. I've been fortunate enough to be able to peruse other participants' posts already, and this post has created a bit of mixed feelings about #reverb10, I think.

There are some who are saying this prompt is a bit too "new-age" for them, and implies that we should all feel something is "wrong" with us. I can see why they say that. And I can also see why others, who do strive for a deeper connection between mind and body, appreciate the prompt.

What follows is my take on it, allowing readers to realize, of course, that this is my personal view and I'm entitled to it, so pppbbbbbbttt!


I do try to have an integration between my mind and body beyond the normal my-mind-controls-my-body connection. But instead of seeing it as an integration or connection, I see it as an awareness.

There is a connection between mind and body in things like yoga, in which you focus your mind on your body, connecting your thoughts and breath to the movements of yoga. There's also a connection between mind and body when you're aware of how you take care of yourself, and what you do to ensure your body (and mind) is at its best.

In my post about things yesterday, I said one of the things I want to get rid of in 2011 is unhealthy habits. This includes junk food and lack of exercise, but also being aware of how my environment affects my body. I'm moving toward using more natural cleaners in my home, and am converting my wardrobe to natural fabrics. After all, if I'm trying to be more mindful of what I put into my body (pesticides in foods, processed foods, etc.), wouldn't it follow that I'm trying to be more mindful of what I put on my body (processed fabrics, chemical dyes, etc.)?

In this process of getting rid of unhealthy habits, I do feel more of an "integration" between mind and body. I feel healthier and better about myself, and I'm already seeing some of the long-term affects of the changes (more energy, less stress, etc.).

And I know it will only get better as I work to be a healthier me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...