14 December 2010

#reverb10 Prompt, Day 14: Appreciate

What's the one thing you have come to appreciate most in the past year? How do you express gratitude for it?
-----

As cheesy as it may sound, the thing I've come to appreciate most in the past year has been the fact that I'm a full-time writer (from home).

I knew in college I wanted to be a writer. I decided to take a bit of a risk and earn a degree in English (creative writing) without education or journalism or anything like that. My degree is just in creative writing. Even then, I stepped out on the edge of practical in order to follow a passion.

After graduation, I took a job at my alma mater that involved writing. After that I took a job as a high school English teacher (for me: yech!). After that, I became a full-time freelance writer.

Since then my writing has developed, my career has developed, and I have full-time work from home as a freelance writer. And I couldn't be happier.

Not only do I get to stay home and play with my son all day long, but I get to have my dream job while I do it. Realistically, how many English graduates do you know that actually get to be full-time writers? I even have time to write fiction once in a while! How cool is that?

Of course, I've had my ups and downs, and there have been lean months. But every month, it's getting better. I'm building my client list, and was even told recently that in addition to more work from a previous client, I'll be getting referrals for additional work from a previous client. (Yay for a busy 2011!) I feel like I'm really making my way as a freelance writer, and all the work I put in a few years ago is paying off.

For those who are struggling, for those who are contemplating it, for those who think it's too good to be true.... it can be done. It's not easy, and it can take a long time, but it can be done!

And if you keep working, you'll put yourself in a position to be able to say you really do love what you do!

I'm livin' the dream, baby!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...