17 April 2009

Death Barged In by Kathleen Sheeder Bonanno

In his Russian greatcoat
slamming open the door
with an unpardonable bang,
and he has been here ever since.

He changes everything,
rearranges the furniture,
his hand hovers
by the phone;
he will answer now, he says;
he will be the answer.

Tonight he sits down to dinner
at the head of the table
as we eat, mute;
later, he climbs into bed
between us.

Even as I sit here,
he stands behind me
clamping two
colossal hands on my shoulders
and bends down
and whispers to my neck,
From now on,
you write about me.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. Just... wow.

    That's not Neil Gaiman's cute perky gothic Death. Not. At. All.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why I love NPM so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chills chills chills.
    --Jennifer Schumaker

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, my grandmother is a Bonanno, her father, Joseph Bonanno from Catania, Sicily-
    J. Schumaker

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you like the poem! And interesting that you have a Bonanno family link! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Slamming Open the Door" is an amazing collection of poetry. Each poem Bonanno's book is just as amazing and beautiful as this one.

    NY Times review: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/books/review/Kirby-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished listening to a radio interview (WAMU/Washington, DC) which Mrs. Bonnano gave regarding her new book of poems "Slamming Open the Door." Her spoken words during the interview, along with reciting her poems, transported my emotions and thoughts to whow she was feeling and felt during the horrific discovery and ordeal (the trial) of her daughter's death.

    I loved the music tributes that were played during her daughter's memorial.

    I wish I could give Mrs. Bonanno a hug, because I too, miss her daughter, Lady.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...