16 September 2014

Nanny's birthday

Nanny reading to Puck and Bug, 2011
Today is my mom's birthday.

This is the second year in a row I haven't been able to celebrate with her because of the whole I-live-in-Florida-now thing.

I don't like that I can't celebrate with my mom. I'd love to take her out for lunch or coffee or drinks or something.

Moving to Florida this time around has led to a bigger change in my relationship with my parents than the last time I lived here. Sometimes it's hard to talk as much as you'd like to when you're working (more than) full-time, you have a munchkin in school full-days, and you have a girlfriend with a traditional office job who can't just pick up and go whenever you want. (So annoying!)

I don't get to talk to her as much as I want, and I definitely don't get to see her as often as I'd like. But we both know that sometimes you have to do what is necessary to take care of your family, and that's what we're doing.

I'm hoping that next year will be different. Maybe we'll be able to visit sometime next year, or Nanny will be able to spend some time here in Florida with the munchkins. Until then, I'll be wishing her a happy birthday from three states away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...