24 September 2014

Florida speaks out for marriage equality

Image source
There's movement in the efforts for marriage equality all over the country, including my (now) home state of Florida.

In August of this year, a federal judge declared Florida's 2008 marriage amendment unconstitutional. However, there was a 30-day stay put on the ruling to allow for appeals. On September 5th, Attorney General Pam Bondi asked the judge not to lift the stay on the ruling, saying that the decision should be made by the U.S. Supreme Court. She has since filed an appeal on behalf of a court clerk and two Rick Scott employees to overturn the recent ruling in favor of marriage equality. Bondi's position is that the decision should be made by the voters and not by the courts, arguing that the 2008 amendment speaks for Florida's residents.

Rick Scott decided not to prevent the appeal. As far as I know, there has not been a date set to hear the argument at the Eleventh Circuit Court.

This is major progress, and it's good.

However, there is part of me that thinks motions and briefs and appeals and whatever else will be filed and filed to delay at least until the middle of November because Bondi (and Scott) are up for re-election.*

Marriage equality is important to me. It's frustrating to me to think that the state I love and call home has legislation that tells me I'm not allowed to marry someone I love. That my family is less than for something out of my control.

I don't know what's going to happen in Florida, or when. But I hope Florida will stand on the right side of history.






-----
*Which could be a very good thing, depending on who wins the elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...