27 March 2015

Fifty Shades, an introduction to reading dreck to prove a point

After a discussion with some friends (and one family member) on Facebook about my feelings on the Fifty Shades trilogy and film, I have decided to not only read the books and watch the film, but to make extensive notes about my reactions to what I read (both literary reactions and reactions to content) in order to make as objective a determination of the phenomenon as I can.

I will read the series with as open a mind as possible and read critically for content and literary merit. The popularity of the story doesn't matter to me. The story matters. So that's what I intend to focus on.

Once I've finished reading the books, I'll watch the film with the same critical eye, focusing on story and cinematography.

Along the way, I will do supplemental research. While I can analyze and critique the books wholly independently from other research, I know that there are some areas, particularly in the psychology of domestic violence, that I need to learn more about in order to evaluate. So that outside research and reading will be included in my notes and observations, as well.

My initial plan is to write about each book at the halfway point and again at the end, then take the film in its entirety.

It's going to be an interesting couple of months.

Do you have an opinion on the Fifty Shades books/film?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...