05 July 2014

On my nightstand

I've had the best of intentions to read all spring. And as spring has progressed and work has gotten (happily) more intense, reading for pleasure has not been as big a priority.

However, while the munchkins are with Monty for their summer vacation, I'm going to try to set aside some time for reading and get caught up on the books I started this summer and didn't finish. Here's what stacked up on my nightstand for July.


The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

I started this book some time ago, but haven't gotten very far, and haven't finished it. I very much want to read this book. Here's the thing--I already know what I think about the existence of a supernatural creator being (spoiler alert: I do not believe in god). However, by reading Dawkins (and others) I will be much-better equipped to discuss/debate with others about the existence of god, including being able to articulate arguments against it, and combat statements in favor of god's existence.

One of the most valuable tools we have is knowledge, and books like this can equip me with the knowledge I need to stand strong in my beliefs.

Quiet by Susan Cain

This is another one of those books I started and haven't finished.

I know introversion is a big buzzword these days, and since high school I've sort of struggled with my introversion, especially when people would tell me I just needed to come out of my shell or "just go and meet people" or whatever other extroverted advice they had to offer (with the best of intentions, of course).

I'm hoping that reading Quiet will help me better relate to people who are more on the extroverted side of the scale and maybe "come out of my shell" a bit more. Bo* assures me that staying home for weeks at a time is not the best idea. So maybe reading Cain's book will help me find new ways to be a little more extroverted without it being quite so draining.

The Warcraft War of the Ancients Archive by Richard A. Knaak

I know. My geek is showing.

I play World of Warcraft, and because I was away from it so long when the kids were born, I'm feeling the need to read the lore so I can better appreciate the story of the game. Bo has (almost) all the books in the series, so I'm borrowing them from her.

I don't read a lot of fantasy, so I'm looking forward to this sort of escape this month.

What are you reading? What are you planning to read?






-----
*Bo is what the munchkins call Yvaine now. I like it--it suits her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...