08 July 2014

Disconnecting

I've been finding less and less interest in social media lately. I rarely update Twitter and the only reason I really have Facebook is to stay connected with my friends and family in other states.

But as I'm making the effort to be more present, I'm finding the desire to sort of ignore Facebook and Twitter more. As it is, I've stripped my newsfeed to only a few things that show up, most of which is shared links and articles.

I won't delete my Facebook account because, as I said, I use it to stay connected with friends and family. But I'm not going to use it nearly as much. I may check it once a day or post occasionally, and I'll likely still use it to send some pictures to friends and family, but largely, I'll just keep it active to keep it active.

The thing is, I sometimes get caught up in what my friends and family are doing and being unable to be involved in their lives since I live so far away. It makes me feel even more disconnected from them, and makes me miss living in Illinois.

And there have been many times I've seen people's posts and I just shake my head at the frustration. I'm tired of seeing the same kinds of posts from people who aren't doing what they need to do to make their lives better. I'm tired of seeing posts that attempt to make me feel guilty for being who I am (gay or atheist or a single mom) from people who supposedly love and support me.

I'm just tired of it all.

So I will continue to use Twitter occasionally and use the Facebook page I have for work, but beyond that, people who want to know all the intimate details of my life will have to do it the old-fashioned way.

And meanwhile, I'll be living my life instead of posting about living my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...