08 October 2013

The possibly added book

A few days ago while I was making breakfast for the munchkins, I had an idea for another book in the collection.

Originally, there were nine* books planned, but I have to decide if this new idea I have fits in with the collection, or would be better served as a standalone book, or just something that I have an idea for that doesn't get written any time soon.

The thing is, I think I would really enjoy writing this new idea because of the subject matter. It's something near and dear to my heart, and I think could provide a lot of insight to people who have been through similar situations.**

So I have to decide if this new book fits into the collection, and if so, how. (There is somewhat of a chronology to the collection, though the coffee house book ranges wider than other books in the collection.) I don't know if it really will fit, or if I'm just trying to make it fit because I like the idea. And do I like the idea because it's not the coffee house book, or because it's an idea with its own merit?

I'm fortunate because I have writerly friends I can turn to for advice or insight. And I know my heart sister will always tell me if something I'm working on is stupid or won't work.

In the meantime, I'm continuing to move forward with the coffee house book, and soon I'll be starting the background work for the next book in the collection.

What do you do when you get a new idea in the middle of a project?





-----
*It may be seven or eight. There's one book I'm on the fence about including in the collection because it may work better as a stage play. There are two other books that are similar, so I am likely going to drop one of them.

**Sorry for the vagueness. It's still an undeveloped idea and I'm not going to give too much away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...