04 October 2013

Pushing forward

This long, strange, hard transition that's been going on in my life has been dominating my thoughts (and energy) lately. It's been frustrating and there are times I'm sure I'll be in this state of transition forever.

This post is not about that.

This post is about the coffee house book.

In the free moments between the munchkins, getting settled and my crazy work load, I've been working on the coffee house book. And I've made some really good progress on it, too. (Who needs sleep, anyway?) And the best part is that I've fallen in love with the project all over again.

The characters are interesting to me. And the boring ones are interesting in their boringness. There are characters I like and some I dislike. I'm enjoying giving each of them a voice through the story I'm telling.

As you probably know if you've been reading this blog for a while, the coffee house book is just the first in a collection (not a series, mind, but books that are interrelated but stand alone). And in some ways, the coffee house book is sort of setting up some of the future books. That's another fun part of it to me--adding in the little nods to other books that readers will pick up on later, and, in a few cases, laying the foundation for the stories in other books.

I've been working on this book for a long time. Almost ten years, to be honest. But I always come back to it. Whatever else I work on, I can't stop thinking about this project. And that's why I keep working on it, little by little.

It's encouraging to have made so much progress over the past few weeks. And it seems like the more I'm able to get done, the more I want to get done. Maybe that's why it was easy in the beginning to make excuses for not starting. It was overwhelming. Now that all the background work is done and I'm in the middle of actually writing, it feels more like something I can actually accomplish.

I hope to have the first draft done by the end of the year. In the meantime, I'll just keep pushing forward, word by word.

How's your work in progress going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...