26 August 2013

Challenge: Days Six and Seven

Skipped another day. Sorry about that. Here's what's gone right the past couple of days:

I found some optimism.

I'm still sticking to my plan, which hinges entirely on news I'm waiting to receive in the next day or so. It's very frustrating to know that the next month of my life is dependent on one decision that I have no control over, but I was reminded of a conversation between my brother and myself that has helped. Whatever happens, it's going to be okay. It might suck, and it absolutely won't go the way I expect, but it will be okay in the end.

I will have more support in Florida than I thought.

As I've mentioned before, one of my anxieties about moving has been that everyone who has been a support to me over the past couple of years will still be in Illinois. I'm moving to a place where the only people I know are toddlers or won't have anything to do with me (divorce tends to do that, doesn't it?). But I got some really good news yesterday that certain people will be moving closer to me soon, and have promised to visit often. It gives me encouragement for the future, both short- and long-term.

I got to sing with my friends one more time.

Yesterday I got to sing with the church choir once more before moving. I absolutely loved singing with them, and it's one of the many things I'll greatly miss when I move. Being able to sing one more time--and say goodbye to the friends I met through the church--lifted my heart and gave me the encouragement I'm going to need to get through the next few weeks.

I had an afternoon of movies.

Yesterday while I was working on finishing up a project for a client, I watched some movies on Netflix. Some I hadn't seen, others were repeats, all of them entertaining. I know it might not be the most productive decision to watch movies while I work, but I don't care. I got the project done, and was entertained at the same time.

A regular client added some work to my project list.

I have a regular client right now that I really love working with. The projects are fun, it's in a field I'm passionate about (Literature and education? Awesome!), and it's a good working relationship. The good news is that this client added some upcoming projects to our contract, so I'll get to do more work with him, and the specific projects sound like they're going to be a lot fun. Yay!

I got to talk to my brotherface*!

I had something important (the next item in this post, actually) to tell my brother, so we talked on the phone last night. Despite living in the same town, we don't get to talk much. We're both working, we both have munchkins, and our lives are just a bit chaotic. So when we talk, it's valuable to me. It was a typical conversation for us. We talked about TV and movies, literature (Dude! Read Lovecraft!), work, family, life, philosophy.... It was wonderful. I have a great brotherface.

And thus concludes my challenge for this week. It was good for me to take the time and think about things that went right every day over the past week. With everything else that's been going on, it helped me keep an optimistic mindset. Thanks, CCB, for the challenge!

What went right for you over the past week?






-----
*
My brother (the older of my two younger brothers) calls me "sisterface" or "sissyface." He also calls our mom "mommyface." So I call him "brotherface."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...