17 February 2009

Writing and Life

I fear I've been neglecting my fiction lately.  Between finding out about my little java bean, chaos in my personal life, and freelancing, my coffee house book has been left alone for a while.  I do feel bad, and I miss writing fiction, but there are more important things going on in my life right now that need more attention.

So I've been thinking about my coffee house book, doing research, and taking notes, and when things are more normalized, I'll be able to open the file again and get back to work on it.

When I was working on my writing goals for 2009, I wanted one of them to be that the coffee house book would be finished, edited, and that I'd be querying agents.  But I decided recently that I don't want to put any pressure on myself.  It's not that I don't want to get it done, but I'd rather take my time and make sure it's right.

I know I can write a book.  NaNoWriMo has proven that the past two years.  But that doesn't mean that what I write in a month should be handed out for public consumption.  Do you know how much it takes to edit a story?

I have a friend who has been writing.  She's been reworking her first book, and is starting to see what really goes into preparing a book for people to read.  I doubt her book is even ready for beta readers (though she knows that when it's ready, I'm happy to read for her!), and she's been working on it for a bit already.

My coffee house book is important to me.  And when I'm ready to send queries, I want my book to be the best I can make it.  That said, I'm lifting my 2009 expectation of completing it, and I'm just going to keep working on it until it's ready.

But hopefully, I'll be able to give you updates on how the writing is going soon!

3 comments:

  1. The time for fiction will come again. Never fear. And this just gives me another reason to take care of my health and look both ways when crossing the street - I want to be there for your book signing! ;-) So, on those days when you're tempted to beat yourself up endlessly over the things you haven't done, just remember that you're giving some people in the audience something to look forward to!

    Besides, the things worth doing are worth doing well. If you can't do it justice right at the moment, it's best to work on other things. This book has been the centerpiece of your life for a long time. Rushing it wouldn't be right for either you or the book.

    You're writing. You're even getting paid to write. So, my dearest heart sister, no beating yourself up for the things you haven't done. Bask in your accomplishments for a bit, here. You're an extraordinary writer, an extraordinary woman; you'll be an extraordinary mom, and you'll definitely be an extraordinary fiction writer!

    All things in their time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, you always know just what to say! Thank you so much! I'm printing your comment to hang over my desk.

    I love you, heart sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! It's easy to know what to say when the only things that need to be said are the unvarnished truth!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...