08 February 2009

Time Off Can Be Bliss

As a freelance writer, many times I feel my office never closes.  After all, if someone contacts me on Sunday afternoon and has a rush job they want me to do for them, I'm not likely to turn them down.  That's a writer's life.

Yesterday, my office was closed.  I went to Gasparilla, and didn't think about work all day.  It was strange knowing I couldn't check my messages to see if a client had contacted me, but during the day I realized that it's sometimes important to take a day off to recharge, spend time with the Hubs, and let things mull a bit.  It was just what I needed.  And even though, when we got home I was exhausted and ready to go to bed, I was mentally ready to get back to work.

There needs to be a balance between working and taking time off.  Yes, it's true that, as writers, we only get paid when we write, but is it better to stay up until threein the morning to try and finish an article, or go to bed and get up an hour or two early the next morning to finish it?

It's hard for me to "turn it off" when it comes to writing, but I have a little index card on my desk that helps me keep it in perspective a little bit.  It says, "Even the military gives leave."  The idea is that companies give time off to their employees for good reason.  Everyone needs a break from time to time.  Even if it's one day to go to a crazy pirate festival, you have to allow yourself time to step away from the chaos of work and enjoy being a person once in a while.

Even the hermit herself goes to Mexico to see the Peacemakers.  Everyone needs time off every now and then.

I'm not saying you should schedule two weeks off every year.  That may work for you, but you may not be able to afford that, either.  But maybe it works for you to take one or two days off each week, or one weekend each month, or whatever in order to step away from the office and spend time with family, friends, and fur babies.  The work will be there when you get back.  I promise.  As long as you won't miss a deadline or a meeting or something by taking a day off, it could be really good for you.  At Gasparilla yesterday, I saw about a hundred people that would make fun characters in various stories, and I came up with an entire short story plot.  If I'd stayed home, I would've missed out on that.

What's your schedule?  Does it allow for time off regularly?

2 comments:

Add a little caffeine to my life...