25 February 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today, Ash Wednesday, marks the first day of the Lenten season leading up to Easter.

Lent is a serious time in the Liturgical Calendar.  It's a time of penance, reflection/prayer, and fasting as Catholics (as well as some Protestant denominations) prepare their hearts to celebrate Christ's death and resurrection.  And as part of penance, Catholics are instructed to "give something up" for Lent, to (in a small way) remind themselves of the sacrifice Christ made when He died for our sins.

However, I think a large part of Lent, and one that's often overlooked, is prayer and reflection.  This is a time for self-examination, for taking a long, hard look at who we are, decisions we make, priorities in our lives.  Our Lenten sacrifice is meant to make us stronger, more faithful people, and in order to do that, we have to be honest about who we are to begin with.

I decided this year that I'm "giving up" wasting time for Lent.  I realized I spend a lot of time doing nothing.  So for this Lenten season, every time I find myself without a work or personal task to do instead of playing a game online or turning on a random television show, I'm going to spend time in prayer and study.  It will be a much better use of my time, and will hopefully be a habit that continues even after Easter.

Whether you observe Lent or not, whether you celebrate Easter or not, I urge you to spend some time in reflection.  What are your priorities?  What do you want to change in yourself?  What New Year's Resolutions have you kept?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I'm giving up Diet Coke and other non-nutritious drinks. I'm addicted to them, and they're not good for me. I'm going to try to drink nothing but milk and water and maybe some fruit juices. It's going to be hard! Since I'm trying to lose some weight, I've already stopped eating a lot of junk food.
    But I'm impressed with your decision. I also waste a lot of time. I'm glad that you've emphasized the real meaning of Lent. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're trying to be healthier! Good luck with your sacrifices this season!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...