10 March 2009

ScriptFrenzy Awaits!

For those whose wrists are still in braces thanks to the madness in November, you may want to skip over this post.  For all others, read on!

ScriptFrenzy 2009 is upon us!

April 1st marks the first day of furious writing for all those theatre/TV/radio-minded of us.  This is only the third ScriptFrenzy ever, and it's sure to be even more exciting than last year!  (And believe me, last year was crazy!!)

Now that I have you all excited about writing with a crazy deadline (though no one could be more excited than Dana, of course), you're probably wondering just what ScriptFrenzy is.  Well, look at the title.  Script.  Frenzy.  It's a frenzied script-writing extravaganza!

The idea is similar to NaNoWriMo with a few minor changes.


  1. You're writing a script instead of prose.  It can be a stage play, TV show, screenplay, radio show, or skit for your neighbor's kids.  Whatever.  But it's a script.
  2. Instead of counting words, you're counting pages.  ScriptFrenzy is a lot easier.  Instead of writing 50,000 words, you write 100 pages of script.  And let me tell you, 100 pages of script is nothin'.  After all, you can take up half a page with just a few lines of dialogue.  Last year, I did it in about four days, and I was working outside the house full time.

That's it, folks.  Everything else is pretty much the same as NaNo.  You sign up on the site, when you're done you verify your script, and there's a great support system on their website, just like with NaNoWriMo.

I really enjoy writing scripts.  It challenges me to think about the importance of every word of dialogue and how everything a character says reveals something about him or her.  Plus, sometimes I like thinking about a story in 3D (stage setting).  It's a nice change of pace.

So if you've ever wondered if maybe you could write a script one day, April 1st is "one day."  The site is live and ready for you to register, and I'll be scripting right along with you all month.

Come on.

It'll be fun!

[END SCENE]

5 comments:

  1. I don't even remember how to begin writing a play script. Hmm...I wonder if Mr. Roger Hall could shed some light on where to start?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done ScriptFrenzy before, but after pulling off NaNo last year, I'm excited to give it a try! Going to collab with my sister on a graphic novel script, and then she's going to illustrate it when we're done. Fun stuff... bring on the frenzy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Angie: That's not funny. The only thing Roger Hall is good for is holding up the short end of the couch.

    @Jen: Try it! You'll have to check in and let me know how it's going once you start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse me... *raises hand* Who the - um - heck is Roger Hall?

    As for actually doing this, yeah, no. Not after you suckered me into NaNo. Twice. Okay, the last time was mostly my fault, but still. Besides, I'm moving. Possibly more than once if the place I chose turns out to be teh suck and I take advantage of their 100% guarantee and flee. And someone suggested taking showers together in order to save energy. Since the only person I have to buddy up with is my cat, I'll probably be spending part of the month in the intensive care unit. And and and I've got lotsa excuses.

    Really. I do.

    So I wish you the best. Have fun without me. Send a postcard. I'll just be over here, not writing a script...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger Hall wrote a book called *Writing Your First Play,* which my professor used as the text for a playwriting class (Frazzoo was in that class with me).

    It was not a good text. Not only did the professor contradict the text she constantly urged us to use as a resource, but the book contradicted itself. It was frustrating.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...