28 March 2009

Approach Your Starting Mark!

Ladies and gentlemen, lights up is nearly upon us!  

I can hardly believe it's been a year since I wrote Do You Remember? (which was inspired by a scene I wrote for a college playwriting class) for last year's ScriptFrenzy, but here we are again.

This year's plot is inspired by my coffee house book.  The entire play takes place at a single table in a coffee house over the course of one day.  Essentially, it explores the types of people that go to this coffee house, giving readers (and me) a bit of an insight into the characters in my coffee house book.  I'm hoping to use some of the dialogue in my coffee house book, in fact.

As I mentioned before, I'm not as prepared for Screnzy09 as I'd like to be, but I feel like some of what I'm going to write needs to come as the scenes develop through writing.  So I may have to spend a bit of time during April doing a little background information, but it's a small price to pay for the play I think will develop from this idea.  I think it's going to be a lot of fun to write.

One of the things I've done to get ready for Screnzy09 is to go back through my script from Screnzy08.  I've used it to refresh my memory about formatting, but it's served to remind me that I really do enjoy playwriting.  I could see myself writing plays more often.

I know that, in my heart, I'll always be a prose writer, but playwriting is a nice change of pace for me.  So I'm counting down to April 1st with eager anticipation.

Are you ready?

2 comments:

  1. Well. I'm ready to read it, if that's what you mean. ;-)

    I wish you were here. There's a little theatre in Burien that might like to stage this, but I think they only do local authors. I'd love to see your work on stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I was there, too! Maybe I'll find my own local theatre that would be interested....

    That reminds me. Have you read my script from last year?

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...