06 March 2009

Lenten Reflection

I have to admit that this week, Lent has not gone as I expected it would.  I had high hopes for this Lenten season, but being pregnant has sort of changed things around a bit.  I was frustrated for a few days about it (I felt a bit like a failure), but after praying about it and reading more on Lent, I've adjusted my expectations of myself so things are going much better.

I'm a member of a Catholic forum, and there's been lots of conversation going on among women who are pregnant right now, and how it's affecting their Lenten experience.  One woman, for example, was told by her doctor not to change her diet at all during Lent, including abstaining from meat on Fridays.  Another woman has been ill and exhausted, so she hasn't been able to tend to her daily routine, let alone the "extras" of Lent.  However, we're all finding other ways to make this season special.

I have to keep reminding myself that Lent is a spiritual time more than a physical time.  Yes, people are asked to abstain from meat on Fridays and "give something up" for the season, but it's meant to remind us of the sacrifice Christ made for us.  It's meant to bring us closer to our faith as we prepare for Easter.

So if I can't get up as early as I'd like in order to pray, I can set aside time during the day to pray.  And if I need to eat meat to keep me from feeling ill, I can find something else to give up that day instead.

Ultimately, I have to take care of myself and the baby, and the Lord knows that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...