04 September 2008

Writing Shortly

Some time ago, I was tagged by the Progressive Conservative to participate in a meme (originated by bookbabie), during which I wrote my six-word memoir. I came up with something that has become a mantra for me.

Writes often, loves fiercely, drinks coffee.

When I sat down to write this memoir, I think I underestimated how difficult it can be to be sparse. I thought I would write six words, post my memoir, and move on with my life. Unfortunately, it took a while for me to figure out a way to encapsulate myself in just six words.

After writing my memoir as per the meme, I added those six words to the white board in my office space to remind me of who I am and forgot about the meme. Then I was pointed to an article by Jeremy Caplan that made me reconsider my memoir as just one of those things we do online every once in a while.

The guidelines for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) call for a minimum of 50,000 words, but NPR's On the Media hosted a twelve-word-novel contest. Attention spans are shortening. Caplan says:
Short is in. Online Americans, fed up with e-mail overload and blogorrhea, are retreating into micro-writing. Six-word memoirs. Four-word film reviews. Twelve-word novels. Mini-lit is thriving.
I was aware of the six-word memoir prior to reading Caplan's article, but the twelve-word novel was a new one to me. I participated in (and won) NaNo last year with a novel that was a bit over 50,000 words. I'll be participating again this year, but this whole twelve-word-novel thing intrigues me. I think I'll write one (or more). Maybe my publishing career is in twelve-word-novels.

For your entertainment, I'd like to share NPR's top twelve twelve-word-novels (available at the above link) in the order they're found in the transcript.
  1. "She hated Ohio. She ran away. She loved the dead jazz musician." By Rudy Jaimes.
  2. "Living Abroad," by Marcia Veach. "This is China! This is China? This - is China."
  3. "I see now that I have taken lighthouses for granted." By April Kuiper, Grand Rapids, Michigan.
  4. "My sister had written Father's obituary. He is survived by one daughter." By Brenda J. Wolfe.
  5. "His enormous lottery winnings enabled him to create his own private hell." By Pamela Roeller, Litchfield Park, Arizona.
  6. "Louise's love of poodles was overshadowed only by her love of barbecue." By Mark Weaver, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
  7. "Obituary. First five words free, she thought. Charles dead. Yacht for sale." Angela Stucker, Brooklyn, New York.
  8. "In the end, they barely reached Buffalo before finding themselves devastatingly incompatible." By Carol Braun, Garfield Heights, Ohio.
  9. "'There are no atheists in foxholes,' said the chaplain, 'so get out.'" Jonathan Swiller, Highland Mills, New York.
  10. "Well, I warned her. Chickens do not like to ride in cars." By Jeanine Farrell, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
  11. "Got Grandpa's FBI file. Curiosity sated, Pop's backstory regains renewed luster." By Michael Ravnitzky, Silver Spring, Maryland.
  12. "Twelve-word novel win changes life. Fame, drugs, adultery, sorrow, tears, blood." By David Hill, New York, New York.
What would your 12-word-novel be? Or your six-word memoir?

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard of the 12 Word Novel either, how fun, I may have to do one myself. Too burned out to actually work on my full length novel anyway:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veni, vidi, vici. Crossed the Rubicon. Kicked Senate ass. Et tu, Brute?

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...