16 September 2008

The Writer's Calendar

Freelance writers write on a very different schedule than people read.  Since many publications request that writers send submissions as far as six months' in advance, what's on my desk at any given time is very different from the mindset of "regular people."

I have this calendar in my quick file that helps me remember when I should be submitting what to help me keep on track.  (Keep in mind this is a rough submission calendar, so writing would begin before what's listed.)

January: Fourth of July/summer
February: End of summer/back to school
March: Back to school/end of summer/football
April: Halloween
May: Thanksgiving
June: Christmas/New Year's
July: New Year's
August: Valentine's Day
September: Spring/Easter
October: Easter
November: End of school year/Mother's Day
December: End of school year/summer/Father's Day

A little different, isn't it?

This is only a rough calendar, of course.  Writers should check the individual submission guidelines of the publications to which they're submitting.  You have to make sure you're submitting within the individual publications' timeframe.

It's great to have this little calendar, but when I'm working on seasonal pieces sometimes, it makes it difficult to get into the proper holiday spirit.  After all, when everyone else is cleaning up their Thanksgiving decorations and getting out the Christmas decorations, I'm writing about summer!

So if you're not sure what you should be working on this month, count forward about six months and start there.

Happy scribbling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...