24 September 2008

The Seven Sacraments Series: a Conclusion

Over the last several weeks, I've explored the Seven Sacraments of the Catholic Church.  There are many who use the sacraments as a point of argument against the Church.  (Perhaps it's because they don't know about these sacraments that they are against them.)  I firmly believe that knowledge can combat hatred, so I'm happy to openly discuss my faith to help break down stereotypes and show the similarities between people, rather than differences.

My original intention in this series was to unveil truth about the sacraments, but in writing the pieces, it developed into more.  This process has been a good experience for me.  I've been able to brush up a little on my Church doctrine, and I've learned things about the Church I didn't know.  I hope it was as informative to you as it has been to me.

To recap:

The Sacrament of Baptism is the first sacrament in the Church, usually given shortly after birth.  Baptism in the Catholic Church forgives original sin, as well as acting as a promise by the parents and godparents of the child that that child will be raised in the Church.

The Sacrament of Confirmation is a profession of faith in the Catholic Church.  It is usually taken after Holy Communion, and brings the faithful in full communion in the Church.

The Sacrament of Holy Communion is the participation in the Lord's Supper.  The faithful are encouraged to participate in this sacrament as often as they like; the Eucharist is (usually) offered even during Daily Mass services, so many people take this sacrament every day.

The Sacrament of Confession is usually made prior to First Communion, to prepare the heart for the Eucharist.  The Church requires Confession, also called Reconciliation, at least once a year as part of the Easter Duty, but the faithful are encouraged to confess often.

The Sacrament of Marriage is a sacrament not taken by everyone, but is one that, when undertaken, should be met with as much seriousness as all other sacraments.  Marriage is a holy joining of two people in faith and love.

The Sacrament of Holy Orders is, quite simply, the clergy.  Those who choose to take the Sacrament of Marriage can't take the Sacrament of Holy Orders and vice versa.

The Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick is given for those who are ill, or have upcoming medical procedures.  Originally it was called Last Rites, but the intent of the sacrament has changed, as well as the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...