22 September 2008

On This, the First Day of Autumn

I love autumn.

Summer greens are bright and beautiful, but the yellows, oranges, and reds of autumn create a prettier palette.  The colors blend, but because of the different shades all over, the colors attract my eye more than summer hues.  Nature begs to be walked in, photographed, admired, more in fall than any other season.

I love getting out my jeans and sweaters for the first time in the fall.  Before winter starts to set in and things turn gray, I love taking a journal outside to a park with lots of trees and scribbling, smelling the crisp, fresh air, being in nature.  It's refreshing to be out when it's cooler in the evenings--cool enough perhaps for a jacket--and writing.  Autumn allows me to write outside more (spring is too wet, winter too cold, and summer too hot), which has always been inspirational to me.

Living in Orlando makes me feel a bit cheated.  Here, it gets a bit cooler, but everything stays lush and green, so it doesn't really feel like fall here.  Even the temperature change isn't as drastic.  And, being hurricane season, fall is quite a bit wetter here, so it's not as inviting to sit outside when it's pouring nearly every afternoon.

I love autumn.  I just wish it was here.

3 comments:

  1. Today is offically the start of our absolute favorite season as well. As a hunter it means lots more time in the field for me and in general the whole family just loves this time of year. We literally have something planned every weekend between now and mid-November.

    Including a trip here:

    http://www.oldlouisville.com/ArtShow.htm

    I can't imagine how painful it is to miss out on the changing colors in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should come to hc in October. Mac and J-ville will give you a good dose of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @PC: Send me pictures! (Not the hunting kind.)

    @Frazzoo: I wish we could.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...