07 September 2009

How Does Your Walk Talk?

When I was younger, I had a Sunday school teacher who was fond of saying, "Your walk talks louder than your talk talks."

She essentially meant that the way you live your life makes more of an impact than what you say. It was used to remind us that it was one thing to say "I'm a Christian," and something completely different to show our faith by how we acted. (We had to be good, Christian girls, after all, so we could attract good, Christian men to make us good, Christian wives and mothers.)

The point is a good one, though, and can go beyond Christianity.

You don't have to speak to make an impression on someone (good or bad). The decisions you make and the way you act and react give people an idea of the kind of person you are.

I'm not one of those people who raises an eyebrow at people with mohawks or piercings and tattoos or anything like that, but I do know that if you say you believe something, then live your life to the contrary, I certainly will raise an eyebrow. If you, for example, claim to live green and want to protect the earth, but won't recycle, what should I think?

I'm not bringing this up to lecture you, but to make you aware of the image you're giving to others with every aspect of yourself. Even what you say on your blog, for example, reveals who you are to anyone who reads it.

So just remember: your walk talks louder than your talk talks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...