30 September 2009

Finding peace in the midst of chaos

In addition to being a freelance writer, I have a husband, three cats, and a six-week old baby boy at home.  My husband works outside the home, and we're very close to his parents, with whom we spend a lot of time.  So my schedule is a little crazy sometimes.  And I'm the type of person that can handle that craziness, but if I don't get at least a little time now and then of quiet, I start to get frustrated.

My challenge lately has been to find peace in the midst of the chaos of my life.  When everything is in upheaval, what can I do to have a peaceful heart?

Of course, the first place I turn is to prayer.  Prayer has always been a comfort to me, and I'm sure it always will be.   Sometimes, all I need is to whisper a short prayer to center myself, and I feel much better.

Sometimes, though, I feel like I need a little more than a whispered prayer to help me find peace.  And at those times, I often need to walk away from whatever I'm doing for a few minutes and find a quiet moment to myself.  It can be something as simple as walking to the mailbox and back or going to unload the dishwasher while everyone else is in the other room.

Once I pull myself away from the situation that's frustrating me for just a moment, I'm able to regain my perspective and jump back into it with a much better attitude, and I can keep that feeling of peace through the chaos.

What do you do to find peace in chaos?

2 comments:

  1. It was Coco, but since she's over at the in-laws house now with her babies, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pet a cat - if the cat's not responsible for the chaos to begin with...

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...