01 January 2014

What will 2014 be for me?

The lovely, talented, funny and wonderful Carmen over at Mom to the Screaming Masses posted this yesterday looking toward 2014, and I'm totally stealing it and doing it myself. I'm all about 2014 (it's going to be my year), so this is perfect for me to start the year out with. I encourage you to think about your answers to these prompts yourself as you start this new and exciting year.

 


A bad habit I'm going to break: I'm terrible about drinking soda (particularly Dr. Pepper). I know I drink too much soda and it's just empty calories, but as hard as I've tried, I just can't break the soda habit. So this year I'm going to make a concerted effort to stop drinking so much soda. It's part of the changes I'm trying really hard to make to be a healthier me.

A new skill I'd like to learn: This year, I'm going to start sewing. I've made the commitment to making pajamas for the cousins for Christmas next year, and I need lots of practice. Along with that, I'd love to be able to quilt, as well. But we'll start with simple sewing first.

A person I hope to be more like: There are a lot of people I admire in my life. There are different people I look up to for different reasons, and different people who have traits that I want to see more of in myself. However, I'm going to be a little selfish in this answer. This year, I hope to be more like myself. I'm finally living my authentic self and being true to who I am, and in 2014, I want to continue to be true to who I am and be authentically me.

A good deed I'm going to do: For me, it works much better to do little things as I can rather than committing to bigger ways of helping/volunteering. My schedule can be a bit crazy, and I don't want to commit to a program and then not be able to follow through. So instead, this year, I want to keep my eyes open to help others whenever and wherever I can, knowing that even "little" things can have a big impact on people's lives.

A place I'd like to visit: I'm back in Florida, so I'm looking forward to lots of beach time, but one particular place I'd like to go is the Florida Keys. The Hemingway House is in Key West, and I'd love to go and see it, and do a little exploring that far south.

A book I'd like to read: Oh, my goodness.... This is a hard one. There are so many books I want to read that this kind of seems like an unfair question. But if I had to pick one particular book that is a must-read on my list this year, I think it would have to be The Norton Book of Women's Lives. I picked it up at Barnes & Noble some time ago and haven't read it yet. It's an anthology, and I'm hoping will be a good volume to take with me on my next trip to Illinois (I'll definitely need something for the airport!).

A letter I'm going to write: Like most people, particularly of my generation, I'm terrible at writing letters. Sometimes I'm even terrible about replying to emails for friends and family. But I think writing letters can be a good way to strengthen a connection with someone, so committing to writing a letter this year is a good challenge. So I'm planning to write a letter to a friend I've lost touch with in order to try and reconnect.

A new food I'd like to try: I've committed to a vegan lifestyle, and though I had a few slips in 2013 (it's a process), there are no animal products or by-products in my kitchen, and I'm feeling confident about my plant-based, compassionate diet in 2014. To help keep myself committed to this lifestyle, I want to make sure there's lots of variety in my diet, so trying new foods is going to be common this year. One particular food I'm looking forward to trying is kale. I've never had it, and heard lots of great things about it (including kale chips, which sound yummy to me). So it's definitely on my list this year.

I'm going to do better at: (This is another steal from Carmen, but it's true for me, so I'm going with it.) listening to my body and taking care of myself. 2013 was a difficult year for me for a lot of reasons. And I know that the best way I can continue to take care of the munchkins is to take care of myself, too. So I'm going to do what I need to do in order to be healthy and happy, so that the munchkins can continue to be happy and healthy.

If you decide to fill this out, please let Carmen know--I know she'd be happy to read what you're going to do in 2014!

Have a wonderful year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...