01 March 2012

Reading Challenge Update

Reading has been going better since I've started working with this new client. So far I've read Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, and Watership Down by Richard Adams. (Reviews of Rand and Adams will likely be posted this weekend.) I didn't read Atlas Shrugged as deeply as I would have liked, particularly because of what the book represents, but I did get through it, which is enough for me...because of what the book represents.

I'm happy with how I'm doing. I know I need to read more quickly to hit the goal of 100 books, but with the way things have been going, I think I'm doing pretty well. I'm glad I'm doing this challenge--it's forcing me to take time to read, to immerse myself in stories. They say writers should spend time reading, and this challenge is helping me do that.

Right now choosing stories has been easy. I have a list of books on my shelf I'd like to read, and I'm being given stories by my client to work with. But I know that as I get further in the challenge, it might get harder to pick books. There are always and forever books to read, of course, but I'll have worked through many of the titles already on my want-to-read list, and will need to add to it. I'm also resisting the temptation to go through an entire series for this challenge. I feel like it would be too easy to read, say, the Harry Potter series. Sure, it would count, but it's not really my goal for this reading challenge. In fact, except for reading Song of Solomon and Sula, both by Toni Morrison, I would like to only read one book by each author I pick up this year.

How's your reading going this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...