02 April 2014

Embracing Self-Care: Know Thyself

Listening to your body is a good first step
toward embracing self-care.
This is the first week of my participation in Embracing Self-Care. This week's prompt is "Know Thyself."

Self-care is something I've been trying to pay more attention to lately, especially in terms of my physical health. I'm trying to eat better (plant-based diet) and take better care of myself (exercise) so I can be happier and healthier, which will make me a better mom to Puck and Tink. As I've been taking steps toward better health, I've begun paying much more attention to my body and the signals it gives me when something is wrong (or not). That has helped me better understand what I need to reach my goals.

Knowing your body/mind/spirit and its needs is the first step toward real self-care. After all, you can't take care of yourself if you don't know what you need.

If this is something new to you, one good way to start listening to your body is by keeping a journal. If you journal regularly, you'll know when something is "off," and journaling about how you feel will help you learn what you need to put things right again. I find that the more often I write in my journal, the better I am at gauging what I need and why. Even if you don't journal, make a note of how you feel (both good and bad) so you can start to learn what you need to be happy and healthy.

Knowing yourself is also important on a larger scale in your life. Yes, it helps you take better care of yourself (short- and long-term), but it's also a good way to make sure you're headed in the direction you want to go. Knowing who you are and what you need/want will ensure that you don't get stuck or settle or give up on your dreams.

Take some time this week to think about what you need to be healthy and happy.

Next week: Health and spirituality

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...