30 April 2014

A Life in Literature

I have a literary career. I went to school to become a writer, and I'm working as a writer.

In addition to writing the collection, I have a day job as a freelance writer. The clients I have vary (sometimes wildly), but the majority of my current work is in the educational/academic field.

The work I do in academic and educational writings keeps me securely in the literary world. I spend a lot of time reading up on literary theory, cracking open my old college textbooks (I've gotten so much use out of my Norton Anthologies....), and studying the relationship between reader and author. At times I feel like I'm still taking college classes, and at other times I feel like I should be teaching classes.

Still, I love my literary life. I love having books around and having a career focused on the things I loved so much in college. I love exploring books I read and loved with a new perspective that adds depth to re-readings.

I love my job.

I'm finding that being surrounded by such quality writing for work has made me a bit pickier in other areas of my life. For example, I've been watching vastly less TV than I used to (not having a TV helps with that, of course). When I do watch something, I find myself turning to shows that have depth to them. I can't watch mindless shows anymore.* I want to be as entertained in watching TV as I am when I read for work. And you just can't follow Pride and Prejudice with The Bachelor. It just doesn't work. When I need something I don't have to think about, I watch shows and movies I've seen many times so I don't really have to pay attention to them. And I'd much rather be reading.

A life in literature changes you for the better.






-----
*There are a few exceptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...