07 July 2013

Renew Your Spirit Sunday with Your Mountain

Yesterday I went to a family dinner to celebrate my mom being done with school and having passed her boards. Tomorrow she starts her orientation for her shiny new job as an RN on the hospice ward of a hospital. It's the job she wanted, o frabjous day!

I say this as a prelude to the real intention of this post (and it does relate to the post).

During the family dinner, I had a really great conversation with my brother. Chronologically he is younger than me, but we're close in age, and we've always had a big brother-little sister kind of relationship. We watch out for each other. I know that he's always there for me. And that has never been more apparent than it was last night.

We were talking about some upcoming changes in my life. My brother knows I'm worried about some things that are to come and how it'll all play out.

My brother has had some really rough patches. I won't go into details, but he's had a hard life, and he's fought his way out of it to where he is now. He's got a good job, a beautiful family, and he's on his way to where he wants to be. I'm incredibly proud of how much he's grown and changed.

He told me that one thing that he was able to hold on to every step of the way was that it's going to be okay. Every time he hit bottom, he knew he would be able to pick back out of it, and that, ultimately, it would be okay. He told me he knows that with these changes in my life, it's going to be okay. It's going to be a hard transition, and there will be some rough spots, but it's going to be okay.

He told me that everything that's happened to him has gotten him to where he is. He's gone through the swamps and forests and now he's standing at the bottom of the mountain, ready to climb. This is where he's supposed to be.

He told me that these changes in my life are to put me at the bottom of my mountain, to set me on my path. It's going to be hard, but this is where I'm supposed to go.

Last night was one of those incredibly significant conversations in my life, the kind that I'll remember for a long, long time, and refer back to when I need inner strength or peace or just something to hold on to in order to get me through to the next bright spot.

I have an awesome brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...