14 June 2012

Writing in June

Puck and Tink are safely in Florida with Monty until the end of the month. Puck, especially, was excited to see his Daddy again, and talked about little else except going to "Mickey's house." I know they'll have fun, and while I miss them fiercely, I'm trying to stay positive and use this opportunity to stay busy and get caught up on some things that have fallen behind.

Yes, these are my actual, factual task lists for this week.
There are some typical mom-related tasks on my list for this month, like deep-cleaning the house, rearranging the living room, and getting ready for Independence Day. But there are also a lot of writing things on my list.

I have a grant application that needs to be sent by November 1st, and I need to work on that. It's a whole big packet of "stuff" to send to the organization, and I want to make sure I have everything in order in plenty of time.

As part of the application packet, I need to work on the coffee house book. Not only do I want to work on the coffee house book in its own right, but I am including an excerpt from it as part of the application. I know what section I'm using, so I need to finish the background work for that section and write it.

I also decided to do Camp NaNoWriMo this month. I figured since the kids are gone for the last half of the month, I'd be able to make the time to write something for it, and it would be good for me to work on something other than freelancing or the coffee house book a little bit. Not that I don't love devoting my creative energies to them, but it's also nice to work on other things once in a while.

The novel I'm writing for camp is a sort of coming-of-age novel. It's intended to be pretty light reading, and I know I won't do anything with it other than write it for camp, but it's just something different to work on for a while. I figured that since the coffee house book is so dense, something lighter to work on would be good for me.

I always have a lot of writing to work on, but there's a lot of time this month to write. (And I hope that writing will help distract me from missing Puck and Tink.) I may just have to keep track of my word count for this month and see how much I actually get done.

What are you working on this month?

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there was Nanowrimo during the summer; thanks for the link! I wish I could do it this summer, but I have to work on my dissertation instead, sighhhh... I have managed to set aside some time for fiction writing, though. I've been revising the first draft of a manuscript and realized that I need to flesh it out with more scenes. It's a lot of work, but it's fun, too. (I wish I could say the same about my dissertation.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know there was NaNo in the summer, either, until just recently. A friend of mine said they do it in August, as well. I don't know how far I'll get this month, but it's going to be fun nonetheless.

    Good luck working on your dissertation!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...