28 June 2012

There's a reason it's called a career *path*....

Photo source
Last month I found an opportunity I couldn't pass up. At first I was, I admit, a little skeptical.... it sounded too good to be true, and I've fallen for that before.

I know more about this opportunity now, and I'm excited at the prospect of it working out. It would be an amazing career opportunity for me. It would push my career in the direction I want it to go, and it would be an opportunity that I would stick with long-term.

I can't (well, won't) say what this opportunity is right now, or any real details about it, but it would utilize my education and experience, and (as I said) advance my career path.

I know. Vague. Sorry. When I can, I'll share more.

I've been thinking a lot about this opportunity over the past couple of days. I've been weighing the pros and cons of it, thinking about the possibilities of some of the details I don't know yet, and imagining how this will alter the path of my life and career. It will change a lot of things in my life, for a lot of reasons. And if it works out, there will be some transitions that will be difficult, but that I will have to get used to.

But that's how it works when you're on a career path isn't it? You're not supposed to stay still, stuck where you are. You should be pushing forward, striving for better, right? That's what this opportunity is.


I have a degree in English in order to have a career as a writer. I have been working as a freelance writer for the past four years (to the month, actually), and each project has given me more experience and samples for my career. I've strengthened my skills, and the projects I accept now are very different from those initial projects and articles.


The progress I have made as a freelance writer has been an effort to land an opportunity like this one. This opportunity is why I went to college, and why I have pushed myself (especially recently) in my freelance career. This would be my career-maker.


Of course, with this kind of opportunity, there are some adjustments that would need to be made. (Understandable. If I were working in a traditional job and had a big opportunity or promotion, adjustments would need to be made.) At first, those adjustments bothered me just a little bit. But I know that they come with the territory of advancing my career. And because of what these adjustments will ultimately mean for my family, any concerns I have are being set aside. They are minor in comparison to the benefits of what's to come if this opportunity pans out.

I don't know what's going to happen. I'm supposed to know more next week. Whether it works out or not, this opportunity is sending me on a whole new path.

1 comment:

Add a little caffeine to my life...