11 June 2012

My Life's Work

Thanks to Allena T. on Twitter, I was able to read this article this morning about how to tell whether or not you've found your life's work. As I was reading through it, I happily realized that I am, in fact, doing my life's work.

There came a point in my life and career when writing was no longer something I did. Instead, a writer was something I was. And though I spend a lot of days terrified of what I'm doing, doubting myself, worried that the summer of 2008 was one of the biggest mistakes of my life, I also spend more days excited to sit down to work, staying up late to finish fun projects, and telling anyone who will listen about the cool new thing I'm working on this week.

Yes, it's hard, and people think I'm crazy for choosing this crazy career path. It would be so much easier to have a "real" job to go to every day, wouldn't it? Well, in some ways, I'm sure it would be easier. It would be more regulated, when I got home I'd be able to be fully home (and not working), and I wouldn't get strange looks when I tell people what I do for a living.

On the other hand, I really and truly can't imagine doing anything except what I'm doing. Seriously. I wake up in the mornings and get to do something I love every day, and the best part is, I get to play with Puck and Tink in between articles and client emails. What could be better?

This is my life's work, and this is right where I'm supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...