29 January 2009

Reading in 2009

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to read more.  I used to read all the time (especially during college), and I've fallen out of the habit of sitting down on a rainy afternoon and opening a book.  It's a bit embarrassing.

So to help me be more accountable for my reading (or lack thereof), I've decided to make my reading a bit more public.  So if I fall behind, not only will I have my personal guilt to deal with, but also the guilt of any readers of my blog who decide it fitting to scold me for not keeping up with my personal reading goal of completing at least two books each month.

The first book I'm going to read (which will count for February, obviously) is The Meridian Anthology of Early Women Writers: British Literary Women from Aphra Ben to Maria Edgeworth, 1660-1800, edited by Katharine M. Rogers and William McCarthy.  I picked it up at a used bookstore a few weeks ago and it's been sitting on my desk since then, begging to be opened and explored.  One of the things that excites me about reading this anthology is that I don't know the authors in it.

What are you reading right now, and why?  What are your reading goals for 2009?

3 comments:

  1. Right, then. Holding you to it! Keep us posted on what you discover within these covers - this one looks really interesting!

    Mah reading... right now, I'm re-reading Through a Universe Darkly, because I've forgotten nearly all the cosmology I know. I figure if I read all of my old books on cosmology, I might eventually get it. (How's that working out so far? Not too good!)

    Once I get done sorting through ye olde crap, it's on to the book store for up-to-date tomes on superstring theory, astrophysics, and the latest in cosmology, which I intend to read until either a) I understand this stuff or b) my brain dribbles out my ear and slinks under the bed to hide. Guess which one I'm betting on?

    Then it'll be on to plate tectonics and cartography, and whatever else this current novel demands as prep work.

    Later in the year, I intend to re-read the books on writing and Tolkien that inspired me so, along with some actual fiction.

    Afterward, I'm going to give up writing, get a sex change, and join that monastery where all they do is brew beer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading 'Botany of Desire' which I have wanted to read since I heard the author on NPR several years ago. So far it's a quick read and very interesting.

    Next is a refresher on Walter Taylor's 1948 classic 'A Study of Archaeology' for some really nerdy archaeology-oriented blog entries.

    I'm also still planning on reading Sherlock Holmes this summer. A challenge? Or will you be knee-deep in 'What to Expect When Expecting' or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holmes is a distinct possibility this summer, since I'll be spending much of it indoors with my swollen ankles elevated.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...