16 October 2008

Reading and the Economy

Nathan Bransford inquired today about his readers' book-buying habits.  He asks:
We live in a tumultuous time all around, with the economy sinking and technology continuing to change habits and proclivities....Have you noticed a change in how you buy books? Do you buy fewer? More? New/used? Do you buy them online or in bookstores? 
I've found I'm a bit pickier about what I purchase than I used to be.  I used to buy whatever I could, and if I didn't like the book, I donated it or gave it to a friend.  Now, however, if there's a book I think I want, I'll pick it up from the library first.  If I like it enough I'll buy it after that.  If not, it goes back to the library and I've learned I don't like that particular book.

My hardcover vs. paperback preferences have not changed.  I've always preferred paperback except for a few cases (Jasper Fforde, for example) both because they cost less and because they're a bit handier to stick in my bag than hardcover books.

What are your reading habits?  Have they changed recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...