01 October 2008

National Novel Writing Month: poised at the keyboard

Today marks the first day of sign-ups for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) 2008, which is the 10th anniversary of the event.

Hooray!  Let's celebrate!

For those who haven't done it, let me give you a little insight into the insanity of the annual event.

NaNoWriMo takes place during November every year.  From November 1st (midnight) until November 30th (11:59:59 p.m.), writers from around the world spend every spare moment writing in order to complete a 50,000-word novel in thirty days (a little less than 2,000 words each day).

The event is a celebration of novel-writing, and to prove to writers everywhere that the time to write exists.  If you can make time each November to write 2,000 words a day, you can write your novel.

This will be my fourth year participating.  Last year was the first year I "won."  Even though I didn't win in 2005 and 2006, I came close, and the point of the event was more important than my word count at the end.  I started December with renewed energy for scribbling and got a lot of writing done as a result.

If you're considering NaNo--even a little--please check out the website.  There are great resources for WriMos, a forum to keep in touch with other writers, and even weekly podcasts to keep you going!

The adventure is just around the corner, and there's plenty of time to get ready, so sign up!  (Be patient--the site just went live for this year, so it may be a bit laggy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...