01 August 2008

Currently Reading

I'm reading The Poet and the Murderer by Simon Worrall about the masterful forgeries by Mark Hofmann including an Emily Dickinson poem, but since it's a reread for me, I decided to pick something new up as well. This is something I've had on my shelf for quite some time, but I've never really gotten around to reading it. However, I feel the need to read it now.


Writing the Fire!: Yoga and the Art of Making Your Words Come Alive by Gail Sher


From the back cover:


Writing the Fire! offers writers a new and visionary practice: using yoga to release the body's inner intelligence and then support, shape, and inform the creative process.

Indeed, "writing is yoga," declares Gail Sher, introducing the "writing asana"--an invaluable new tool for every writer's routine. Her insightful and lyrical book, organized around eight thematic "immersions," plumbs yoga's wisdom heritage. As Donald Moyer, director of the Yoga Room in Berkeley, comments, "She encourages writers to approach their writing with the clarity and presence of yogis, and teaches yogis how to temper their awareness with the heat of words and images." Writing the Fire! celebrates the fullest expression of our being.

GAIL SHER is a psychotherapist, a poet, a teacher, an ardent yoga practitioner, and the author of One Continuous Mistake: Four Noble Truths for Writers. She lives in San Francisco's East Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...