26 August 2008

Budgeting Time

This week is a bit of a crazy week at CSW. I have a couple of tight deadlines, so I have to be careful how I budget my time to make sure I get everything done on time (or early, even). Over the years, beginning even in high school, I've learned a few tricks to help keep me on track with deadlines, and am always aware of what projects I have.

I write everything down. A lot of times I'm able to remember what's going on and what I have to do each day, but I'm always afraid that I might not remember.
  • I have a day planner I use to write down all my deadlines and appointments as soon as I get them. And when I complete a project or go to an appointment I cross it off on my calendar so I know I did it.
  • At the beginning of each week, I create a task list of projects and things to do that week (with deadlines written in to remind me of priorities). I add to it as I need to, and as each task gets completed, I cross it off the list. I always write this list on a piece of yellow paper from a legal pad so it doesn't get hidden among the other (white) papers on my desk and in my portfolio.
  • At the beginning of each day, I look at my weekly task list and create a to-do list for the day from the projects and things I have to do during the week. That way I don't feel overwhelmed by looking at my weekly list. I'm able to break things down day by day to make sure I get everything done.
  • I also keep a stack of notepaper on my desk. Whenever I have a piece of paper that's clean on the back that would normally be recycled or thrown away, I cut it into quarters and add to the notepaper stack. These papers are bigger than post-it notes, so I don't lose track of them as easily, and I'm able to take notes on them without wasting paper.
I have a file organizer by my desk for active files. When I have an active project, I stand that file up in my file organizer by my desk for easy access to the file and notes within it. That way I don't have to go to my file box when I need information about a project or client. Everything is right there next to me.

I budget breaks into my schedule. If I work too long without a break, my eyes get tired and I get a headache. Sometimes I'll get frustrated with what I'm working on, too, unless I can step away from it for a bit. So I usually take a mini-break every hour or so, even if it's just a five- or ten-minute break to refresh my drink and stretch my back. (If you're having trouble taking breaks, there are free, download-able programs that will automatically remind you when it's time to take a break. I used one until I got in the habit of taking regular breaks. Here's an example of one.)

These are just a few of the things I do to help me manage my time wisely. Others have different methods. A colleague/client of mine, for example, lays out all of her projects in an Excel document to track what needs to be done, when things are due, and what files she needs for the projects. Another friend of mine just keeps a daily to do list on a half-sheet of paper.

What do you do to help keep your time budgeted?

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I do those first two pretty much like you do them. As for the third, well, I need to schedule some work in my breaks!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...