16 May 2008

Stare at screen. Bang head on keys. Repeat ad nauseum.

As geared up as I am for the summer, I can't seem to get motivated to write this week. I don't know if it's because I'm burned out from catching up at work, or if I'm just unmotivated, but last night when I sat down to work on the coffee house book, I sat for about twenty minutes and didn't type a single word.

I've been trying to temper my grading/lesson planning/end-of-the-year-ing with preparing for my summer job so as not to burn myself out, but obviously what I'm doing isn't really working.

I keep telling myself I have nothing to complain about, really. With my teacher's schedule, I have ample time to write some afternoons, weekends, and all summer. I've read about writers who had to scribble their novels on the subway every morning and evening, or only had an hour to write each morning before work, and still managed to turn out award-winning work.

However, all the time in the world is meaningless without the motivation to write, and there's just something in this coffee-addles brain of mine that isn't letting me write.

I blame the day gig.

After I've finished my grading for the weekend, my intention is to spend some time cleaning out my desk and thoroughly organizing my writing space for the summer. (I have to do something productive this weekend!)

Only 14 more days until my summer vacation! Woo hoo!

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to tell you Neil Gaiman's story about writer's block sometime. It's the only thing that keeps me going some days. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...