05 October 2009

Keeping a prayer journal


I don't know if you know this or not, but I'm a writer.

That means that, often, I think better on paper.  So I keep a writing journal and a personal journal to help me think things out, but I've also started keeping a prayer journal to help think out that aspect of my life.

My prayer journal is in the same book as my personal journal (since many times what I'm writing about in my personal life leads to prayer), and it's both prayer request lists and actual written prayers, as well as helpful verses, quotes, and clippings.  Whatever I find spiritually helpful goes into my journal.

Starting a prayer journal was not a big leap for me because I do keep a personal journal.  And I do still pray aloud or silently without writing the prayers, but sometimes writing prayers helps me really think about what I'm praying and meditate on the issues at hand.

One of the big benefits I've found in keeping a prayer journal is the lists of prayer requests I have.  The physical act of writing prayer requests helps me remember them, and when I get my prayer journal out to pray, the lists are right there in front of me.  It works well for my prayer life.

I recommend that anyone who prays regularly keep a prayer journal.  You may not want to write out prayers in yours, but even if you just have a place to keep your prayer requests, your prayer journal would be a help to your prayer life.  (You could even get a notebook small enough to fit into your Bible bag.)

Do you have a prayer journal?  If so, how do you use it?

2 comments:

  1. I just wrote a blog post on prayer journaling...here's the link to it if you're interested.

    http://eis4em.wordpress.com

    I think I am going to enjoy your blog! I will add you to my blog roll link, and I sent the url of your blog to my friend who is interested in writing. I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the comment and welcome! I hope you like the blog.

    Thanks also for passing the URL to your friend--I'm always happy to find new readers!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...