13 July 2008

Mint Mocha Frappuccino Review


Recently, Starbucks revealed a new frozen drink: the mint mocha frappuccino (also available as an iced coffee). Being a huge fan of chocolate/mint combinations, I had to try it to see if it stood up to the Mint Meltaway I came up with while working as a barista. Besides, who better to try out a new drink than the coffee-stained writer herself?
So I ordered it recently and sat down in the relaxing atmosphere of a local Starbucks to try the drink. The drink is made like a mocha frappuccino with the added shot of spearmint, and is topped with chocolate whipped cream and mocha sauce (as pictured).
The preparation time seemed average for other frappuccinos I've ordered. I don't know if there's a separate mix for this drink or if it's simply the mocha frappuccino with a shot of spearmint added by hand. Either way, preparation time was negligible. The frappuccino I drank tasted as though it used dark chocolate for the chocolate flavoring, but I don't know if that's the standard (or if it was just my imagination). It surprised me initially, but I enjoyed the flavor. It prevented the drink from tasting too sweet.
I enjoyed the frappuccino when I first began drinking it. The blend of mocha and spearmint was balanced, leaving just a hint of minty flavor afterward. As the temperature of the drink rose and the ingredients began to separate, the flavor didn't mix as well. Mixing it with my straw helped a little, but that mixed in the chocolate whipped cream, which began to make the drink a little too sweet for my taste.
Overall, it was a good drink, but I think I would like it better over ice instead of blended ice (which I'll try next time). If you like chocolate/mint combinations, I recommend you try it either as a frappuccino or as an iced coffee.
Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...