19 March 2009

ScriptFrenzy Awaits: Prepping for April 2009

I know some of you may be hiding from ScriptFrenzy.  And that's fine.  But I'm excited about being able to stretch my playwriting muscles a little next month.

So I've been trying to brainstorm about what I can write this year.  I've finally come up with an idea, but all I've got is an idea.  No plot, no characters, nothing but an idea/setting.  Scary, huh?

Usually by now I've decided on a plot and started outlining for the marathon.  It makes me a little nervous that I have no idea about the details yet.  If ScriptFrenzy were starting tomorrow, I'm afraid I'd have to waste precious writing time figuring out characters and a story arc.  I'd much rather spend precious writing time actually doing some writing.

But it's not March 31st yet.  So I still have time.

The good thing is that I do have an idea.  A starting place.  So, worst case scenerio, I can sit down at midnight on April 1st and start describing the setting, and that might be just enough to get me going on the rest.

Once I come up with a suitable plot description, I'll be sure to share it.  Until then, I'll be stopping in coffee houses every chance I get to, hopefully, develop my germ of an idea into something that can end up 100+ pages.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not hiding. I'm just trying to run nonchalantly in the opposite direction. ;-)

    You've got gads of time before the starting gun goes off. I know your mind - you'll have everything you need and more just in the nick of time!

    Besides, if I could get an entire story out of a friend's comment about a band sounding like a garbage disposal, you're going to manage a full script just fine with an idea/setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you're right, but I've been a bit busy lately, so I *feel* behind. Fortunately, playwriting goes lots quicker than prose, so ultimately, I know all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess sometimes that's the best way to start.... a setting, an idea, and then the characters show up and take over! The beauty of writing.

    As for my ScriptFrenzy... I have the characters and general concept (an idea that my sis has been tinkering with for years), but I still haven't figured out the story arc. We'll see what happens!

    Loving the Frenzy posts by the way! Must say your NaNo posts really helped me get through November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad they helped! I'll be posting frequently about SF next month, so I hope they're equally as helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...