12 May 2013

Renew your Spirit Sunday with family

 
Today is Mother's Day. I am blessed to be able to spend the day quietly at home with Puck and Tink. They're napping now, which is good since they didn't exactly sleep last night. When they get up, we'll continue a quiet day at home, interrupted later by a trip to the store for a few grocery necessities and a trip through the car wash, which Puck has been begging me for since he got back from Monty's house.

Mother's Day is weird to me. I read numerous blog posts today that say that today emphasizes the stereotype that a woman's life is not fulfilled without children, and that mothers are somehow better than other women in society. I don't necessarily disagree, and while I love the opportunity to remind my mother how thankful I am for her, and for our incredible relationship, I think it's much more important to instead celebrate families, whatever that term means to you.

Not everyone is a mother. Not everyone knows their own mother. That doesn't make family any less significant. So today I am celebrating my children, my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and the friends I consider my family. I would not be where I am without each and every person in my life, and I love them all. I celebrate them all.

Happy Family Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...