16 December 2012

Renew Your Spirit Sunday with Joy

For those who practice Christian traditions, today is Gaudete Sunday. It's the third week of Advent, and the Sunday in which we celebrate joy.

That's a difficult concept for me today, for many of us this week, especially for those affected by the tragedy that occurred in Connecticut.

I know that I could never ask others to find joy in the midst of what they're going through this week. But I must find joy this week, especially since my true joy--Puck and Tink--are with Monty for another couple of weeks.

I don't know how to really make sense of what has happened, and I can't even imagine what the people of Connecticut are going through. I haven't written about it here because I don't know what to say. I don't feel that any words are enough, so all I can do is pray, and find joy in my own life, to try desperately to cling to joy for those who are unable.

Today I found joy in music. I sang with the choir at morning worship, and I think the song was incredibly fitting for today. So I share the lyrics with you here.

Hope, Peace, Joy and Love
Words and music by Joseph M. Martin (BMI)

Hope is like a candle burning in the night.
Hope paints every shadow with its gentle light.
Glowing like a promise till our faith is sight.
Hope is like a candle in the night.

Peace is like sweet music sounding pure and strong,
Singing songs of comfort when the night is long.
Turning drums of hatred into heaven's song,
Peace is like sweet music pure and strong.

Joy is like a flower blooming in the soul,
Sending forth its fragrance to heal and make us whole.
And when bitter winds are blowing, when birds refuse to sing,
Joy can turn our winter into spring.

Love is like a diamond wrapped in purest gold.
Nothing is more precious, nothing bought or sold.
Pearl of heaven's glory, wondrous to behold,
Love is like a diamond wrapped in gold.

Joy is like a flower.
Peace is like sweet music.
Hope is like a candle in the night.



May the people of Connecticut find peace and hope so that they may find joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...