12 January 2012

Making time to read for pleasure

I'm still on the first book of my reading challenge. I'm starting with Sula by Toni Morrison. My sister read it for a class last semester and passed it along to me to read when she was finished with it. So it's on the dresser, waiting to be enjoyed.

I knew that it was going to be a challenge to make time to read this year, particularly with some major changes I'm facing, but I thought I'd have a little more time than I've had so far this month. Still, I'm determined to try.

Like anything else, this reading challenge is teaching me that I have to (and can) make time to do the things I want to do. During November, I can make time to write 50,000+ words, and in 2012, I can make time to read 100+ books.

It's important to me to have time to read for pleasure. As with reading, I get cranky if I haven't gotten the chance to escape into literature in a while. It's important to me not only for the escape, but to give me the opportunity to step away from the chaos of every day life and take some time for myself. It lets me recharge myself. So it makes sense that if I don't get to do that, I feel overly drained.

Do you make time to read for pleasure? How often? If you don't have time to read, does it affect you? How?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...