06 October 2010

Fall weather, family news, and a little sadness

The weather is getting cooler here. Finally. In fact, earlier this week, it was in the 50s when Hubby left for work. I'm so glad, too. I really love fall.

Our family life is still quite chaotic. Let me 'splain.

No. Is too much to 'splain. Let me sum up.



At the beginning of August, Hubby and I received the blessed news that we are, in fact, expecting baby #2! I'm due on April 25th (the day after Easter). We're very excited, but of course, it changed some things for us.

We were already planning to move to an apartment much closer to Hubby's office. He currently drives an hour each way, and it's just too much. Well, with the news of "Bunny," we decided to adjust our timetable, and we're now set for a move-in date of November 16th. Just in time for family coming from out of town for Thanksgiving! (Eek!)

Finding out about Bunny also meant I needed to start working overtime for work if I want to take maternity leave. I get paid per project, so I plan to do an extra project or two each month to go into savings so I can take some time off when the baby arrives and we'll still be able to, yanno, eat.

So I'm definitely not participating in NaNoWriMo this year. November will be crazy enough as it is with us moving, and me pregnant, and I don't think the added stress of NaNo would be good for me, or for the family. So I'll be standing on the sidelines, cheering raucously, for all those who will be putting pen to paper next month in the hopes of writing a novel. I intend to write a pep talk post at least once a week for you, and of course, I wish you all the best of luck.

Of course, being the person I am, even as wonderfully as things are going, I'm a very little bit sad about not participating in NaNo.

I miss writing fiction very, very much, and I'd hoped to use next month to get back on track with an idea that's been eating at me for some time. I am, after all, a writer. And while I write every day for a living, what I do is not nearly the same as writing fiction.

I'm hoping that, after Thanksgiving, I'll be able to spend some time writing fiction. Things will have settled down once we move into the new apartment and family has gone home again.

I know it's about making time to write. That's what NaNo is all about. So between now and the beginning of December, I hope to carve out little slivers of time here and there in which to do character biographies, outlines, and background information.

What's been new with you lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a little caffeine to my life...