16 May 2009

Take a Break, Take a Breath

The past few weeks have been quite busy for me in the office.  I've had one client in particular who has given me lots of writing opportunities, so most of my time has been spent at my computer, scribbling away.

I'm glad for that, but it's also stressed me out just a little bit since I'm trying to get as much done as possible before Hubby and I take our little vacation next week.  It's led me to getting less sleep than I'd like, I haven't had time to really sit and relax, and reading for pleasure isn't really happening right now.

Over the past couple of weeks I've learned that it really is important to take breaks from time to time when you work from home.  Since there's not a geographical separation between work life and home life, the tasks tend to blend together sometimes.  So as soon as I finish a project I'm off to start a load of laundry or make dinner or vacuum the floor or whatever else is on my personal task list for the day.  It leaves me no time in between to step away from what I've been doing, take a breath, recollect, and then jump into the next task.

I know writers who schedule breaks in their writing schedules.  They know they need to be away from their work spaces regularly, so they plan for that time.  I've tried doing it, but when I'm working well on an article, I can't bring myself to stop what I'm doing for a break, and before I know it, I've worked through lunch.

I think even a ten- or fifteen-minute break to get a snack, refill my drink, or stand and stretch would go a long way for my sanity (as well as keeping my feet from swelling!).  Maybe I wouldn't feel so overwhelmed lately if I didn't work so long without a break.  Of course, then the productive side of me speculates that if I took breaks regularly, I'd have far less things crossed off my task list.

But when I start seeing articles when I close my eyes to go to sleep, I'd say it's definitely time for a break.

How do you know when it's time for a break?

2 comments:

  1. Taking breaks are no problem when you're a smoker. The nicotine levels in your blood dictate when it's time. No choice but to exercise the nicotine demon! LOL.

    How nonsmokers figure this break schedule thingy out, I'll (probably) never know.

    It's a good thing you're going on vacation this week. Seeing articles as you're going to sleep is not a good sign! Relax, enjoy, and tell the articles to cool it until you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I'm not going to take up smoking in order to have regular breaks! LOL Not only because of the precious little java bean, but because I've seen too much illness in my family as a result of smoking.

    ReplyDelete

Add a little caffeine to my life...